Sunday, October 5, 2008

The impact of an end (in a movie)

How To Lose Friends & Alienate People (from now on mentioned  as "the movie" for the sake of convenience)  is an interesting movie whose basic summary without spoilers can be found here.

The odd thing with this movie is that the comes so surprisingly fast and with so little reason that the once charming and pleasant tale to something that felt rushed and confusing at the end. 

A strange thing happened a few days later though, the ending of the movie became irrelevant to me and whenever I look back at the movie I remember it for what it was, a pleasant light comedy. Such a forgettably bad ending then takes a movie and allows it to sit in my mind as a good experience.

This small revelation led me to contemplate the real effect the endings of movies have on me. After a few minutes though I decided that the end of a movie can leave a bad last impression, but not enough to ruin the experience for me.

Thats my two cents...


2 comments:

canasian said...

I agree, a movie's ending can make or break the movie, but in the end I think that it's the body of the movie and the movie as a whole that really counts.

Rshibu's bLoG :] said...

I feel that movies with a bad ending, ruins the overall impact of the movie. If the movie has a great plot that pulls you in, you expect a really good ending that might explain something or maybe the movie's ending might leave you hanging. If the ending is rushed or you feel didnt fit your standard of what it should have been, then you feel discouraged. I mean i agree that sometimes if the movie is really good and it has a bad ending, you might overlook that and try to make up your own ending.
....in short bad movie endings might leave a negative impact for the movie.